Orlando Federal Drug Crime Lawyer
If you are facing federal drug charges, it is of the utmost importance that you speak to an Orlando federal drug crime lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer is your best chance at getting your charges reduced to a lesser charge, or getting your case dismissed entirely. Federal drug crimes are pursued aggressively by the United States government. If you are convicted, you will likely face a lengthy term in federal prison, placing your freedom and privileges in jeopardy. A conviction can also hurt your professional reputation and can even negatively impact the relationships you have with family members and friends.
Types of Federal Drug Crimes
There are many drug crimes that fall under federal jurisdiction. The most common of these pursued by the federal prosecution are as follows:
- Possessing illegal drugs with the intention of selling or distributing them
- Possessing illegal drugs
- Trafficking illegal drugs
- Manufacturing illegal drugs
- Importing illegal drugs
- Conspiring to commit a federal drug crime
Drug offenses are always serious, but the consequences become even harsher when they fall under federal jurisdiction. Many people are surprised to learn the offense they are charged with falls under this jurisdiction, so it is important to understand when a drug crime falls under federal jurisdiction.
When Does a Drug Crime Fall Under Federal Jurisdiction?
Even the smallest fact in a case can result in a drug offense falling under federal jurisdiction instead of being charged as a state crime. You can be charged with a federal drug crime if the circumstances of your case include any of the following:
- The alleged offense happened on federal land, such as within a national park,
- The alleged offense involved importing illegal drugs into the country, or transporting drugs across state lines,
- The alleged offense was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) or another federal agency,
- The alleged offense involved other unlawful activities, such as laundering the proceeds of a sale or possessing a firearm,
- The alleged offense involved organized crime,
- The alleged offense involved a large quantity of illegal drugs,
- Courier or postal services were used during the alleged offense
Penalties for Federal Drug Crimes
The consequences a person will face after being convicted of a federal drug crime vary widely. Sentences depend on a number of factors, including:
- The type of illegal drug involved
- The amount of illegal drug involved
- Whether anyone became injured during the commission of the crime
- Whether a firearm or other deadly weapon was used during the commission of the crime
- Where the offense took place
- Whether the defendant has prior offenses
An Orlando federal drug crime lawyer can challenge or negotiate any potential sentence to get it reduced and to give those accused a chance of a more favorable outcome.
Call Our Federal Drug Crime Lawyer in Orlando Today
Being charged with a federal drug crime is very scary, but the situation is not hopeless. At Joshi Law Firm, P.A., our Orlando federal drug crime lawyer will prepare a strong defense to give you the best chance of beating the charges. Call us now at 407-661-1109 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.