Orlando Drug Trafficking Lawyer
Federal drug trafficking charges are largely misunderstood. People think drug trafficking is only charged at the state level, but that is untrue. Federal drug agencies and federal prosecutors pursue drug trafficking charges aggressively. If you believe you are under investigation, or you have already been charged, you need the help of an Orlando drug trafficking lawyer who can help you retain your freedom.
What is Federal Drug Trafficking?
Under federal law, it is unlawful to intentionally or knowingly commit either of the following acts:
- Manufacture, dispense, distribute, or possess with the intention of manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing a controlled substance, or
- Create, dispense, distribute, or possess with the intention of distributing or dispensing a counterfeit substance
Controlled substances include any substance listed on the federal Controlled Substances Act, such as marijuana, heroin, or cocaine. Certain prescription medications, such as Oxycontin and Vicodin, are also listed within the Act.
Counterfeit substances, on the other hand, include any controlled substance that has a trademark, trade name, container, labeling, imprint, identifying mark, device, number, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, dispenser, or distributor without their express consent.
When Do Federal Drug Trafficking Charges Apply?
Drug trafficking charges are often prosecuted at the state level, but there are certain circumstances that can result in federal charges being laid. These include when:
- The quantity of illegal drugs is very large
- The case involves an investigation by a federal agency
- The case involves a significant amount of money, or the offense of money laundering is involved
- The case involves Medicaid or Medicare fraud
- The case involves illegal acts involving prescription drugs, even when they occur within the same state
- Large amounts of illegal drugs are moved from one state to another
- The offense involves a death or deaths that fall outside of the state’s jurisdiction
Defenses to Federal Drug Trafficking Charges
There are three main defenses used in drug trafficking cases. These include:
- Lack of evidence: A lawyer can refute the evidence by the prosecution to either get it thrown out or to create reasonable doubt.
- Lack of intent: To secure a conviction, the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant had the intent to traffic drugs. Sometimes, people are in possession of drugs but they do not know it, and they are honestly unaware that they are trafficking drugs.
- Illegal search and seizure: In most drug trafficking cases, federal agencies must obtain a search warrant before conducting a search and seizing evidence. When the proper steps are not taken, it can serve as a defense.
Call Our Drug Trafficking Lawyer in Orlando Today
If you or someone you love has been charged with this federal crime, it is crucial that you speak to an Orlando drug trafficking lawyer today. At Joshi Law Firm, P.A., our seasoned attorneys have a long track record of successfully defending these cases, and we want to put that expertise to work for you. Call us now at 407-661-1109 or reach out to us online to request a free consultation and to obtain the legal help you need.